Fully-funded PhD position (3 years)
The research unit “Algorithms, Dynamics, and Information Flow in Networks” (ADYN) is inviting applications for a PhD or Postdoc position, starting as soon as possible. The research is going to be carried out at Goethe University Frankfurt under the supervision of Holger Dell in collaboration with other ADYN members.
The project has the title “Parameterized Complexity of Network Dynamics”, and is about dynamic processes on graphs, such as virus, or fake news, spreading through a social network. During the project, you will learn, develop and employ mathematically provable analysis techniques for such processes. The goals are to analyze dynamic processes based on structural parameters of the graphs, to determine the parameterized and fine-grained complexity of inference and influence problems for such processes, and to develop techniques to study dynamic processes on temporal graphs.
- A fun and meaningful research project at the intersection of parameterized complexity, statistical physics, and graph theory.
- A friendly, open-minded, and supportive social environment.
- Individual guidance and a rich network of collaboration partners.
- Possibility to attend workshops, conferences, and summer schools.
- Flexible working hours and the position is also available part-time.
- Competitive salary (100% E 13, roughly 50k € gross per year)
- Curiosity, ambition, and diligence.
- A finished or almost finished Master’s degree (or equivalent) with good grades in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or similar.
- The inclination and ability to quickly learn about discrete mathematics, probability theory, statistical physics, graph theory, parameterized algorithms, and fine-grained complexity theory.
- Professional level of English in both speaking and writing. (German is not necessary.)
- For postdoc candidates, a strong publication record is required.
Please compile your application and e-mail it to email@example.com. Your application should include as a single PDF file:
- A cover letter, indicating why you are interested in the position and what you can contribute to the project. (This does not need to be a formal letter.)
- The names and contact details of one or two references.
- Your curriculum vitae.
- Your transcripts of grades (both Bachelor and Master).
Please also include as separate PDF files:
- Your Bachelor thesis (if available)
- Your Master thesis or a draft (if available)
- For postdoc candidates: Your most important paper (that is, the one where you have written most of the text)
The application deadline is June 16, 2023, at 2pm Frankfurt time. We hope that all interviews will be held via video call on June 22 between 10am and 5pm Frankfurt time. If the funding agency gives final approval, which is likely, then the position can start from July or later.
If you’re from abroad, you can apply for scholarships to join the TCS group:
- Apply for a postdoc fellowship by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
- Apply for a PhD, postdoc, or visitor fellowship by DAAD. For example:
- If you’re an undergraduate student from India, you can apply for a DAAD WISE scholarship to join the group for a few months.
- If you’re an undergraduate student, a graduate student, or a PhD candidate from the USA, Canada, Britain, or Ireland, you can apply for a DAAD RISE scholarship to join the group for a few months.