Join the Theoretical Computer Science group
Open call for applications
We, the research group of Holger Dell at Frankfurt University, are inviting applications for two PhD or
Postdoc positions, starting as soon as possible.
We are driven by our curiosity for fundamental questions
of computation and information, and we provide a
friendly, open-minded, and positive social environment.
Future research includes fun topics, such as
algebraic graph algorithms,
machine learning on graphs,
applications of TCS in the sciences,
fine-grained and parameterized complexity.
Both positions include some teaching opportunities.
Teaching is important to us, and we use modern, student-centered
learning approaches in our classes.
- Identify and work on fun and fascinating research problems in
theoretical computer science and ajacent areas.
- Publish the findings at top-tier venues.
- Support undergraduate and graduate teaching activities.
- Pursue further scientific qualification (e.g., doctorate).
- A friendly, open-minded, and positive social environment.
- Individual guidance and a rich network of collaboration partners.
- Possibility to attend workshops, conferences, and summer schools.
- Competitive salary (100% E 13, roughly 50k € gross per year)
- The position is for 3 years, with possibility for an extension.
- A vibrant, international, well-connected city.
- Curiosity and a strong interest in team-based rigorous
- Sociability and an ambition to make teaching great.
- A finished or almost finished Master’s degree (or equivalent) with
good grades in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or
similar. For postdoc candidates, a PhD is required.
- Robust knowledge in discrete mathematics or theoretical computer
- Good command of English in both speaking and writing. Some knowledge of German is an advantage for the teaching, as not all students are fluent in English.
- (for the postdoc position) A track record in the form of publications.
Please compile your application (including a short research statement,
CV, transcripts of grades, name and contact details of one or two
references) as a single pdf file and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a thesis or
thesis draft, please include that as well. Please indicate clearly whether you’re applying for a PhD or a postdoc position.
The application deadline is June 15 2021, but candidates will be considered until the position is filled.
The Goethe University Frankfurt promotes gender equality at work, and women are particularly invited to apply.
- Apply for a postdoc fellowship by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
- Apply for a PhD, postdoc, or visitor fellowship by DAAD.